Portugal is a beautiful country known for its sunny beaches, historic cities, and delicious cuisine. If you’re a pet owner, you might be wondering if Portugal is a dog-friendly country. The short answer is yes, Portugal is a pet-friendly country. In this article, we’ll explore why Portugal is a great destination for pet owners and provide tips on how to travel with your furry friend.
Dog-Friendly Accommodation in Portugal
If you’re planning to travel to Portugal with your pet, you’ll be happy to know that there are many pet-friendly accommodation options available. From hotels to apartments and villas, there are many options to choose from. However, it’s important to note that not all accommodation providers allow pets, so it’s essential to check before booking.
Pet-friendly hotels in Portugal range from budget to luxury. Some hotels even offer special pet amenities such as dog beds, bowls, and toys. In larger cities like Lisbon and Porto, you can find several hotels that are pet-friendly. Some of the best pet-friendly hotels in Lisbon include the Corinthia Lisbon, Four Seasons Hotel Ritz Lisbon, and Inspira Santa Marta Hotel.
If you’re a tourist travelling to Portugal with your pet, you’ll be happy to know that there are many pet-friendly accommodation options available. From hotels to apartments and villas, there are many options to choose from. However, it’s important to note that not all accommodation providers allow pets, so it’s essential to check before booking.
Hotels are a popular option for tourists visiting Portugal with their pets. Many hotels in Portugal allow pets, and some even offer special pet amenities such as dog beds, bowls, and toys. However, pet-friendly hotels can be more expensive than those that don’t allow pets. Some hotels may also have restrictions on the size or breed of pets allowed.
If you’re looking for a more affordable option, renting a pet-friendly apartment or villa may be a better choice. Many websites offer pet-friendly accommodation rentals in Portugal, and you can often find good deals by booking in advance. These rentals allow you to have more space and freedom than a hotel room, which can be especially helpful if you’re travelling with a larger pet or multiple pets.
If you’re an expat moving to Portugal with your pet, finding pet-friendly accommodation can be a bit more challenging. While there are many pet-friendly rental options available, some landlords may be hesitant to allow pets. It’s important to be upfront with landlords about your pet and provide any necessary documentation, such as vaccination records.
One option for expats is to work with a real estate agent who specializes in pet-friendly properties. These agents can help you find properties that allow pets and negotiate with landlords on your behalf. Some agencies even offer pet relocation services to help make the move easier for your furry friend.
Another option for expats is to consider purchasing property in Portugal. While this can be a more significant investment, it can give you more control over the living situation and allow you to make changes to the property to better accommodate your pet. Additionally, owning property in Portugal can be a great long-term investment.
Overall, whether you’re a tourist or an expat, there are many pet-friendly accommodation options available in Portugal. With the right research and preparation, you can find a place that suits your needs and allows you to enjoy your time in this beautiful country with your furry friend by your side.
Companies for expats we can recommend you explore to support you with your move to Portugal can be found below:
- Portugal Property Guides: This company specializes in helping expats find and purchase property in Portugal. They offer a range of services, including property search assistance, legal support, and relocation advice. They can also provide guidance on pet-friendly properties and neighbourhoods.
- Pets2Go2: This company offers pet relocation services to expats moving to Portugal. They can help with everything from obtaining the necessary paperwork to arranging transport for your pet. They also offer advice on pet-friendly accommodation options and can provide recommendations for local veterinarians and pet stores.
- Ideal Homes Portugal: This real estate agency specializes in helping expats find properties in Portugal. They offer a range of services, including property search assistance, legal support, and mortgage advice. They also have a section on their website dedicated to pet-friendly properties and can help negotiate with landlords on your behalf.
- Not forgetting Portugal’s biggest property website…. Idealista. Although this is a peer-to-peer platform, it includes filters to help you with your search.
Dog-Friendly Transportation in Portugal
Transportation is another important factor to consider when travelling with a pet. In Portugal, several transportation options allow pets. If you’re travelling by public transportation, pets are generally allowed on buses, trams, and trains. However, it’s important to note that pets are required to be on a leash and wear a muzzle on public transportation.
If you’re planning to rent a car in Portugal, you’ll be happy to know that many car rental companies allow pets. However, it’s important to check with the rental company before booking to make sure they allow pets and to find out if there are any restrictions or additional fees.
Dog-Friendly Restaurants and Cafes in Portugal
Portugal is famous for its delicious food and wine. If you’re a foodie, you’ll be happy to know that there are many pet-friendly restaurants and cafes in Portugal. Many restaurants in Portugal have outdoor seating areas where pets are allowed. However, it’s important to note that not all restaurants allow pets inside, so it’s essential to check before entering.
In Lisbon, there are several pet-friendly cafes where you can enjoy a coffee or pastry with your furry friend. Some of the best pet-friendly cafes in Lisbon include Café Tati, Quiosque Amália, and Sama Sama. In Porto, you can enjoy a glass of port wine with your pet at wine bars such as Wine Quay Bar or Offley Wine Bar.
Dog-Friendly Parks and Beaches in Portugal
One of the best things about travelling with a pet is exploring new places together. Portugal has many pet-friendly parks and beaches where you can spend time with your furry friend. In Lisbon, one of the best pet-friendly parks is Parque Eduardo VII, which offers stunning views of the city. In Porto, you can take your pet for a walk in the beautiful Parque da Cidade.
If you’re planning to visit the beach with your pet, there are several pet-friendly beaches in Portugal. Some of the best pet-friendly beaches in Portugal include Praia do Molhe, Praia do Castelo do Queijo, and Praia da Adiça. However,
It’s important to note that during the high season, some beaches may have restrictions on pets, so it’s essential to check before visiting.
On this point, we have a very detailed article that covers the top dog beaches in Portugal. Check it out to learn more about our best picks. You can also get the low-down on just those dog beaches in Lisbon.
Tips for Travelling with Dogs in Portugal
If you’re planning to travel with your pet in Portugal, there are several things you can do to make the trip more enjoyable for both you and your furry friend. Here are some tips for traveling with pets in Portugal:
- Make sure your pet has all the necessary vaccinations and paperwork before travelling to Portugal.
- Pack all the essentials, including food, water, toys, and any medication your pet may need.
- Book pet-friendly accommodation in advance and inform the staff that you’ll be travelling with a pet.
- Check the weather forecast before heading out with your pet and make sure they’re comfortable in the temperature.
- Keep your pet on a leash in public areas and make sure they wear a collar with identification.
- Respect local laws and regulations regarding pets, including cleaning up after your pet and keeping them under control.
- Take frequent breaks during long car journeys and offer your pet water and food.
In conclusion, Portugal is a pet-friendly country with many accommodations, transportation, and dining options for pet owners. Whether you’re planning to explore historic cities or relax on sunny beaches, you can do it all with your furry friend by your side. With the right preparation and research, travelling with your pet in Portugal can be a fun and memorable experience for both you and your four-legged friend.